Saturday, December 31, 2011

Game 1 - Inning the Third

OK...bear with me here...I'm gonna try and get Shannon and Rooney on the audio here...BRB...

It's New Year's Eve and heady times. I'm waiting for the disc to go through all the pre-game/pre-disc rigamarole so I'll take this time to reflect...2011 has had its ups and downs. Sure, my team won the World Series, but right now my thoughts and my wife's thoughts are with a very dear friend who is perhaps close to death tonight. This is not how we envisioned starting 2012. Baseball seems so utterly irrelevant along with a lot of other things right now. She has a five day old daughter and a husband who need her healthy. I've been on the phone with friends tonight, trying to remain strong. I am thinking of all the people I have lost to the inevitable - some sooner than expected and sooner than was just in the order we wish for the universe...but I think of their vitality and how we carry it with us...This person carried Anne and I in ways we hadn't appreciated without the benefit of hindsight. We are so blessed to know her. We hope to see her this summer.

This week, a student asked me to correct her English on the following phrase, "The world cannot end, because there are still people here to give it life." There was nothing wrong with her English. We are each others' reward. Give our world life in the new year...

Go Cards...

No comments:

Post a Comment